Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running..
Do any of you guys run?  I've been thinking about starting again.  

Just saw this article too:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/well/....html?_r=0

I could do with some extra years I guess.  I think I'd prefer to do sprints rather than anything long distance, but I'm not sure if it's as beneficial.
I jog with the dog 3 or 4 times a week, 5k max. I hate it. With a passion. It's boring and makes my knees hurt after a few weeks so I have to take a break.

When I start boxing, I'm hanging a bag in the garage next to the cross-trainer and will do my cardio that way instead. Literally the only thing that appeals about running for me is the stamina, but you can get that rowing/cross-training while also working muscles.

And yeah I'd much rather do HIIT sprinting. It's been proven way better for fat loss. There are also shit-tons of peer-reviewed journals showing that it's incredibly bad for your joints, which is why so many retired marathon runners have hip and knee replacements.

So literally the only benefits of running over other stuff are:
- Distance stamina (again, achievable through other means)
- Small calorie burn
- Personal preference/people who just enjoy it.

I always feel bad when I hear someone at work saying they're trying to lose weight so they're running but they hate it. Seems to be a bit of a cult movement and people assume they need to run to lose weight, when actually they could do 20mins intervals 3x a week and lose far more.

Matt
Abnormally normal, in a normally abnormal world.
I should get a punchbag, until then the missus will do.

But seriously, I have some hooks in the ceiling that would hang a bag perfectly. Might look into a second hand one, I love punching shit.
I just ran a bit yesterday. The joint thing is because people don't know how to run, if you land on the balls of your feet, then the impact isn't as bad.

[Image: altraform.jpg]

I read that HIIT's a better in terms of bang for your time.

If you do start running, Dani, ease into it otherwise you'll hate it.

I started working on my cardio because it helps with mental health and focus and shit. The plan's to get into decent shape and go back to training some sort of martial art.
(04-16-2017, 01:03 PM)Dani Wrote: I should get a punchbag, until then the missus will do.

But seriously, I have some hooks in the ceiling that would hang a bag perfectly. Might look into a second hand one, I love punching shit.

Thanks mate. As if you would though! Well I wouldn't let you if you tried xD
'Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it.' -Michel de Montaigne
lol xD
xD
Abnormally normal, in a normally abnormal world.